How to Deal with Erectile Dysfunction
Defined as the inability to maintain or sustain an erection, Erectile
Dysfunction, or ED, may be just temporary or the symptom of something greater.
Either way, with so many different ways today to cure the problem there is no
longer any need to ignore it, hoping it will go away. The real danger erectile
dysfunction poses is to a man's quality of life, affecting his self-esteem and
relationships with family, friends, co-workers, and especially sexual partners.
Erectile dysfunction affects most men at one time or another in their life
and the chance of occurrence only grows with age. A 1999 survey conducted by the
National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey (NAMCS) reported that 22 out of every
1000 men sought help for ED. That's 2% of the population! And almost 50% of men
between the ages of 40 and 70 experience difficulties getting or maintaining an
The first important factor is determining if the dysfunction is caused by
physical or emotional issues. The only way to test if the problem is physical or
psychological is by excluding physical diseases that may be at fault.
The majority of long-term erection difficulties are caused by some sort of
physical ailment. The most common are vascular disease, which is the hardening
of arteries, certain kinds of prescription drugs, and fatigue. These are just a
few examples though in a long list. In these cases, blood is unable to surge or
remain in the penis.
While approximately 70% of ED cases are physiological, the other 30% are
caused by psychological factors. These factors include, but are not limited to,
stress, depression and loss of self-worth. This sort of dysfunction starts with
The difficulty may be either long-lasting or temporary. Either way, it's an
embarrassing problem that can be easily avoided in the future. There are many
different methods to cure erectile dysfunction, both medical and non-medical.
It's important to remember that any sort of treatment should be used in
conjunction with a healthy lifestyle. Drugs, alcohol and smoking play a part in
Medication prescribed by a doctor is common, either oral or injected directly
into the penis. Medications like Viagra have helped thousands of men across the
country, but also have adverse side effects including nausea and dizziness and
are incompatible with certain medications. They must be taken about an hour
before sex is possible. Surgery is another method, but is expensive with a long
recuperation period. Surgery involves prosthetic implants, or a pump inserted
into the genital area that the male would have to pump before sexual
Therapy, penis pumps, and herbal supplements are three non-medical methods of
curing ED. Therapy, with a registered sex therapist or other mental health
professional, is quite effective in cases of psychological-caused ED, but not in
physical cases. Therapy tends to be a long process, and some men are embarrassed
to talk at length about their sexual problems. Penis pumps are used by inserting
the penis into a tube and using a pump until erection is achieved, at which
point a ring is rolled onto the base of the penis to keep the erection hard. It
works, but the pump must be used each time before intercourse and doesn't
address the real problem, only acting as a temporary fix.
A safe and easy method is herbal supplements, like
These supplements are made from organically-produced plants chosen for their
aphrodisiacal that have been used for hundreds of years in different parts of
the world. Herbal supplements are completely free of side effects and deliver
quick results. The user can stop the treatment at any time with no adverse
effects. Herbal supplements not only address the physical, but the psychological
factors as well, as it increases libido.
It is important to talk to your doctor before undergoing any sort of